Saffron and paprika- Kozani chicken with prunes
A warmly spiced chicken recipe by Kozani, Greece famous origin for saffron production. This stew of chicken thighs is brought to life with saffron, paprika, and prunes.
- 8 chicken thighs, skin removed
- pinch of Kozani saffron (or Spanish saffron)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1½ tbsp sweet paprika
- 20 pitted prunes
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 turns black peppermill
- Put chicken thighs in a medium-sized saucepan with 1 liter/1¾ pint water and then add the saffron. Bring to the content to boil, then reduce the flame and poach for 10–15 minutes. Drain, the reserving cooking liquid.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over a low to medium flame and sweat the onion gently until very soft, approximately about 10 minutes.
- After heating oil, add the paprika in cooked content, cook for minimum 2 minutes. Add the chicken thighs, about 700ml/1¼ pint of the cooking prunes and the liquid. Garnish with the salt and pepper and simmer for about 20 minutes, till heated through.
- If the sauce is more watery, remove the chicken content, onions and prunes with a slotted spoon and save warm while you reduce down the sauce, so that you have a small amount to spoon over each serving.
- Serve with saffron rice or salad